Waking up on TRT day 2 at 7am, we headed off from Marlette Peak and past Spooner lake. Our trail names are now Slim, KP and Iron. Water was available just down the hill from the freeway crossing and this saved us a hike down to Spooner itself. A picnic area on the other side made for a good resting place. Knowing that tomorrow would likely be free of any water sources, we loaded up with 3 liters each to last us the remaining 18 miles to Kingsbury – we probably should have taken 4.
Since we were still getting into the swing of things, I’d planned a shorter walk today, however, when we arrived at the crossing with the ATV road, we decided to carry on to the top – another 1.5miles and 1000ft climb. The going was tough but when we reached the top, we found a spectacular rocky outpost with nearby camp site to sit and eat watching the sunset and the stars appear. Magnificent views of the ‘greatest show on earth’, with the Milky Way stealing the show.
- Marlette Campground (Elevation: 8,228.35 ft. Lat: 39.191880 Lon: -119.888863)
- South Camp Peak (Elevation: 8,869.23 ft. Lat: 39.061728 Lon: -119.898561)
- Start Time – 9:00am End Time – 6:30pm
- Trail miles according to AllTrails – 13.2
- Elevation Gain according to AllTrails – 2851