Always carry a handful of cord loops. One use for these loops is to hang and dry clothes. See here for knot terminology.
Steps are as follows:
- Take two loops (joined with square/reef knot), roughly 3 inches in diameter. Longer is ok.
- Tie them to the line with a simple cow hitch or to grip the line, use a prusik or klemheisht hitch.
- Twist the loop back on itself to make a pair of loops – another (empty) cow hitch.
- Find a couple of small stones ~1/2 inch diameter.
- Holding them against what you want to hang, push the cloth and stone through the pair of loops.
- Cinch tight.