Sleeping in the great outdoors saves on hotel bills, but does require some backpacking gear. Selecting gear can be a tricky process when so many options exist. An overnight trip in a temperate forest is going to need very different choices compared to a through hike through snow. Usually the lighter the gear, the most expensive the materials, however, like many things, as the cost ramps up, the returns can diminish. There are also some great cheap ‘hacks’ for creating your own gear and using one piece of gear in multiple ways.
- Backpacks – What to carry all this stuff in
- Sleep Systems – Pad and bag – or…
- Shelter Systems – Tents, hammocks, tarps and more
- Stoves – Propane, wood, pelets etc.
- Hydration Systems – Clean water is essential
- Other gear – other essential bits and pos & ‘luxury’ items
- Clothing – Base, mid and outer layers for different conditions
- Consumables – food, snack, fuel etc.
- Packing lists – some example gear lists
JollyTrails is not paid to review any products by suppliers. On occasion, items are provided for free to review. JollyTrails is under no obligation to give positive reviews to any products. Please see out Terms and Conditions for more information.